February 12, 2010 5:24 PM
With Darrielle in Childcare now, we can start to talk about Separation Anxiety.
I believe most parents and kids went through that stage before.. I remember my brother crying everyday in school during his Primary 1 which results in him vomitting and have his Prefect running to me..
The 1st 3 days of childcare have been nice and smooth for Sayang.. She is intrigued by her new surrounding and friends.. By Day4 onwards it became a nightmare for everyone.. The novelty worn off, and she realise she is there alone.. Totally different environment with strangers all around her.. Every morning, she will cry upon opening her eyes coz she recognise the routine of getting her ready for school.. She will shake her head vigourously and struggle when you try to put on her school uniform for her.. With that we even resort to letting her goes to school in home clothes.. She refused to leave home, and will hang onto the gates crying and screaming (in which makes my mum cries too coz she heart pain her)
She would demand to be carried, so I would carry her + her water bottle + my bag and walk 15 mins to her school in heels.. You can see the fear on her face as we walk down the path, and she recognises it as the way to the childcare.. Upon reaching the school, another screaming session which breaks my heart and ear drums..
Evenings at home with my mum is also as torturing.. She turns into a very demanding toddler, screaming at every single thing, refusing to bath and everything.. Totally makes my mum short-circuit.. Being someone who cannot take stress and yet love Darrielle alot, my mum's mood gets seriously affect too.. She no longer sleeps through the night, but wakes up a few times screaming in nightmares..
Sometimes it makes me ponder if am i doing the right thing.. This went on for 1 month without improving..
But I have to keep in rational mind on the ways to deal with Separation Anxiety..
Be calm and consistent.
Create a exit ritual during which you say a pleasant, loving, and firm goodbye. Stay calm and show confidence in your child. Reassure him or her that you'll be back — and explain how long it will be until you return using concepts kids will understand (such as after lunch) because your child can't yet understand time. Give him or her your full attention when you say goodbye, and when you say you're leaving, mean it; coming back will only make things worse.
So every morning, I say good bye to her with a hug and kiss, thn walks away even if she is screaming behind me.. Sounds hard-hearted I know but this is the only way I can help her..
Thankfully Darling is always there for me.. I can vent to him my feeling on dealing with this Separation Anxiety.. And sweetly, one morning when he send Sayang to childcare, he did a prayer for her..
Some would say it's coincidence, I would say it's miraculous.. The very day after that prayer, Darrielle starts getting all better with her Separation Anxiety.. That day, she doesn't cry or scream anymore in the morning, even willingly let me put on her school uniform.. Although she still ask to be carried, but instead of crying and whining, she can start singing songs! Things juz gets better and better and better as each days when by.. It have been almost 2 weeks now, Darrielle absolutely LOVES school.. Last evening, my mum even tell me Sayang demand to put on her school uniform, and then proceed to pick up her bag and ask my mum to bring her to school! LOL.. it's in the evening for goodness sake and she have juz returned from school..
Now morning is a breeze.. I have switch to wearing flipflops to her sch, then change to my heels after that.. Carry her when she wans, thn she will walk on her own when there is steps for her to count.. Can even run to school, and come back singing Chinese New Year songs to me.. She used to cry when she see her school teacher.. Now she is so happy and grins when she sees them..
All i wanna do is give thanks and praises to the Lord for his blessing and miracles.. and also thankful to my family and Darling for helping us cope with it..
*MUACKZ!*
2 Comments:
When I first read tt Darielle cried, I felt heartpain too. But I'm so happy that your bf is such a gd person and tt he prayed for Darielle. I think that really helps a lot. It's really a miracle! :)
By , at February 13, 2010 3:30 AM
yeah.. glad it's all over.. :D
By Rem, at February 15, 2010 8:44 AM






